The Liberal Democrats believe that,
- Individuals should be free to assess risks for themselves and behave accordingly, if their actions pose no threat to others.
- Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle or motorcycle is a personal choice that affects only the individual. We are neither pro nor anti-bike helmets, but pro-choice.
- Mandatory helmet laws lead to less cyclists, meaning more cars, traffic, pollution, etc.
To that end, we will;
- Repeal mandatory bike helmet laws.
- Encourage individuals to make an educated and informed choice about whether to wear a helmet.
- Encourage cycling as a free, healthy and green form of transport, as well as recreational activity, that is unhindered by mandatory helmet laws.